MS4 Clerkships, Visiting Rotations, and Sub-Internships
We begin accepting applications through the Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSLO) in January through March each year. We are listed there as Long Beach Memorial Family Medicine Residency. The site will lead you through our application requirements. We will respond regarding eligibility as the applications arrive and will begin offering four-week rotations in March. The rotation is scheduled as 2 weeks on the inpatient service and 2 weeks in the outpatient clinic. We offer rotations July through January for students interested in pursuing the specialty of family medicine. We accept applications from students who attend accredited medical schools within the United States.
Besides seeing patients in the office or hospital settings, we encourage students to get involved in our community activities which include:
- Involvement with our Sports Medicine Fellowship, which includes sideline coverage of seasonal sports, such as high school football. Students are invited to participate in sports physicals and are invited to attend Sports Medicine Clinic.
- “DOC IS IN” – Since 1996 our residents have participated in an outreach program at Jordan High School, which has a medical magnet program.
- Diabetes Group – We have bilingual monthly group visits for our diabetic patients, led by designated residents.
- Neighborhood M.E.D. – Our residents are mentors for undergraduate students at California State University Long Beach. They have designed a curriculum for the students exposing them to clinical medicine and mentoring them in their pursuit of vocations in health care.
- Option to participate in weekly transgender hormone clinic, if desired.
If you have questions, please don’t hesitate to contact:
Long Beach Memorial Family Medicine
450 E. Spring Street, Suite 1
Long Beach, CA 90806
Please contact our residency coordinator:
Kelly Ambrose: (562) 933-0053
If your rotation is approved, you will receive a confirmation email, followed by a communication from our Graduate Medical Education office giving you access to train on our electronic medical records system prior to your rotation. You will also be required to take our hospital’s online HIPAA course.
We have met many of our current residents during their sub-internships with us and look forward to meeting you!